Robert P. Schuster, Attorney at Law
1970 - 1971
Bob Schuster is a trial lawyer nationally honored for his achievements in complex cases.
Mr. Schuster’s practice concentrates on complex commercial litigation, white collar criminal defense, and selected personal injury cases.
• He is recognized as one of the outstanding lawyers in the country byThe Best Lawyers in America in both Commercial Litigation and Personal Injury Litigation.
• Mr. Schuster has consistently received the highest possible rating from his fellow lawyers as “AV Preeminent” in Martindale-Hubbell, the national and international encyclopedia of practicing lawyers.
• He is designated as a “Mountain States Super Lawyer” for Business Litigation, Plaintiffs’ Personal Injury Litigation, and White Collar Criminal Defense.
• He is recognized in Super Lawyer Business Edition for his accomplishments in Business Litigation.
• U.S. News & World Report ranks Robert P. Schuster, P.C., as one of the best law firms in the country for Commercial Litigation and Plaintiffs’ Personal Injury Litigation.
• He is listed in Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in the World,Who’s Who in American Law, and Who’s Who in the West.
Mr. Schuster received his undergraduate education at Yale College and his professional degrees from the University of Wyoming College of Law (J.D.) and Harvard Law School (LL.M.). He began his legal career in criminal law, serving as a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney in Natrona County. Thereafter, he opened his own office and focused on oil and gas law and tax planning. In 1978, he and two friends (Gerry Spence and Ed Moriarity) started the firm of Spence, Moriarity & Schuster which soon gained national prominence as a trial lawyer firm for its extraordinary success in complex civil and criminal cases. After almost a quarter century as a founding and senior partner of Spence, Moriarity & Schuster, Mr. Schuster opened his separate law office in 2002 to be able to devote uniquely personal attention to each of his firm’s clients.
Mr. Schuster has won the largest Wyoming jury verdict in the state’s history for personal injury damages: $17.5 Million. He obtained the largest wrongful death settlements in Wyoming history. The cases were filed against Encana Oil & Gas (USA) Inc. and were settled before trial for a confidential amount. He has also obtained what is believed to be the largest personal injury settlement in the history of New Mexico and one of the largest in the United States, in excess of $100 Million.
Mr. Schuster’s law office is located in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, but his practice is nationwide. He has taken on clients’ cases from most states in the nation, including Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wyoming.
He is licensed to practice law in state and federal courts in Wyoming, New York, and Utah — and before the United States Supreme Court — and is admitted pro hac vice to practice in state and federal courts of other states when the case is filed outside Wyoming, New York, and Utah. He is a member of Wyoming State Bar, the New York State Bar, and the Utah State Bar.
He is a member of the New York State Bar Association, the Wyoming Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the American Association for Justice, and the National Association for Criminal Defense Lawyers.
For more than three decades, Mr. Schuster has been an invited lecturer at national and international business and legal conferences.