Hill Wallack, LLP
Ohio Northern University
1986 - 1990
Michael J. Shavel is a partner of Hill Wallack LLP. He is a member of the Creditors’ Rights/Bankruptcy Practice Group.
Mr. Shavel concentrates his practice on bankruptcy reorganizations and workouts, debt and equity restructuring; banking, commercial, industrial, real estate and public debt transactions, including loan structuring and restructuring, debtor in possession financing, intercreditor relationship, lender liability prevention and defense.
- Lending institutions including Sovereign Bank; TD Bank, N.A.; Beneficial Bank; HSBC; Stonebridge Bank, Bank of America
- Debtors and creditors including Ashford Health Systems; Todays Man, Inc.; Merry Go Round Enterprises; Allegheny Health Education and Research Foundation; Delaware Valley Medical Systems
- Mortgage lenders in litigation regarding RESPA, TILA, FDCPA, consumer fraud and other claims
- Chapter 7 Trustee in litigation matters and bankruptcy disputes in the health care area
- Lenders in work out and lender liability claims
- Author, "Overview Stresses Chapter 7 Procedures," New Jersey Law Journal, 1994
- Author, "Collection Practices in New Jersey," Lorman Business Institute, 1992
- Speaker, "Negotiating Real Estate Loan Terms and Workout Options" February, 2010
- Member, American Bar Institute
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association Bankruptcy Section
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association Banking Section
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Member, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
Mr. Shavel is admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; State of New Jersey; State of New York, U.S. District Court for New Jersey; U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit; U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania; U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida; All federal district courts in New York. He received his J.D. from Ohio Northern University with honors and his B.A. from Drew University.